List of educational opportunities for anyone who is interested in learning more about volunteering and volunteer training in BC.
- This event has passed.
Building Better Boards – In Person July 4th & 18th
July 4 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Did you know that there are more than 27,300 registered non-profit societies in BC? While we all follow the same requirements set out in the BC Societies Act, we do not all manage our boards or govern our societies in the same ways.
Building Better Boards is a great way to explore and identify different governance models, better understand individual and organizational roles and responsibilities, and learn more about how you communicate, learn, and advance the needs of your organization at the board table.
This course is designed for first time board members who want to learn about board governance, existing board members who are reviewing their roles and responsibilities and building their governance toolkits, and for staff members who are engaging with board members for the first time and/or in new ways.
The class will meet in person on July 4th & July 18th from 5-8pm. During the week in between there will be some readings assigned to participants.
Week 1 Topics
Societies, Charities, and Purpose
- Societies in British Columbia
- Registered Charities
- Finding Your Society’s True Purpose
Introduction to Governance
- The Division of Duties
- Theory Versus Practice
- Board Models
Board Responsibilities (Part A)
- Establishing Mission, Vision, and Values
- Fiscal and Legal Oversight
- Management and Evaluation of the Senior Manager
Week 2 Topcis
Board Responsibilities (Part B)
- Boundary Spanning and Community Connections
- Resource and Asset Development
- Systems Manamgent and Security Management
- Board Self Management and Evaluation
- Job Descriptions and Terms of Reference
- Policy Examples
Have an upcoming training opportunity? Submit Your Training Opportunity