To submit your training opportunities, click HERE.
- This event has passed.
Leading Volunteers: Foundations in Volunteer Management
January 23 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Leading Volunteers: Foundations in Volunteer management
This is a 6 week online course that you do at your own pace, beginning with a mandatory 1 day session on Jan 23rd 2019, from 10am-3pm.
Volunteers are an integral part of the fabric of Canadian society. In 2010, 13.3 million people in Canada (47% of the population) volunteered a total of 2.07 billion hours.
The number of volunteers is growing faster than the Canadian population. With this expansion comes the increasingly urgent need for organizations to have in place transparent and professional volunteer engagement and management practices.
Who this course is for: Whether you’re thinking about entering the volunteer management field, are new to the practice or have several years of experience managing a volunteer program this course will ground you in recognized best practices, expose you to trends in the field and offer you effective management approaches.
The program begins with a one-day face-to-face launch and six weeks of on-line learning. Participants should plan to invest an average of 5-10 hours per week over the duration of the program.
During that time, through collaborative assignments, personal reflection, and structured activities participants will learn how to:
- plan a successful volunteer program,
- recruit and screen potential volunteers,
- orient, train, supervise and recognize volunteers effectively within your program, and
- evaluate and market your program effectively.
- organizational readiness and planning
- risk assessment and mitigation
- recruiting and retaining volunteers that align with the organization
- leading the volunteer initiative
- building capacity to train and supervise
- recognizing unique volunteer contributions
The approaches and materials address the core competencies identified for Certification in Volunteer Administration (CVA)ethics; organizational management; human resource management; accountability, and leadership and advocacy. Course credit may also be applied towards the Camosun College Certificate in Leadership Development.
- Wednesday January 16th Course Opens Online
- Wednesday January 23rd 2018 10am -3pm face to face introduction to the course (location TBA)
- Course work runs from Jan 23rd – Feb 27th 2019 and the course site will be available until Mar 6th 2019